Friday, May 8, 2015

"TURN DOWN FOR WHAT?"

But Martha [overly occupied and too busy] was distracted with much serving; and she came up to Him and said, Lord, is it nothing to you that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me [to lend a hand and to do her part along with me]!
 Luke 10:40 (AMP) 
 
Do you ever feel overwhelmed by the noise and the demands of life? If so, you are not alone. All day, every day, there are multiple things in our surroundings that are pitching for our attention. Our jobs, friends, family, devices, and social media are just a few things that are contending for our time. In America, we live in a fast paced culture where everything is "Turned Up." It seems as though everyone around is in a rat race. Nowadays, it is a present to just be in the present. Just the other day, I was attempting to have a heart to heart conversation with a loved one and it was like playing a game of Double Dutch. I was left desperately trying to see where I could jump in between all of the things that consumed this person's attention. Nonetheless, I was able to successfully jump in, but after a short round, I quickly chose to jump back out. You see, it wasn't one of those days where I felt like skipping rope for a conversation. I simply wanted to spend some quality time. So, how do we handle all of the amplified busyness of life without losing ourselves, our relationships, and a quality life? I believe we could all learn from Martha's sister Mary. In Luke 10:38-42, Jesus is passing through a certain city and both Martha and Mary are preparing for His arrival. However, the sisters are both preparing for Jesus in very different ways. While Martha has chosen to be preoccupied with natural preparations, Mary has chosen to prepare her heart for spiritual impartation. It is obvious that Mary knew the importance of seizing such a moment. Today, I encourage all of you who are over the top busy to chose like Mary. Slow down and make Jesus a priority. Make the decision to lay at His feet everything that consumes you. Be intentional about "Turning Down" the demands of life, so you can all in all "Turn Up" in a more intimate relationship with God.
 
(C) Montez Dove 2015 - All Rights Reserved.           
 

No comments:

Post a Comment